I wrote a Connect magazine article recently where I praised Josh Coates, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who moved to Utah a couple of years ago to build an exciting company that offers free remote backup for any computer user. You can back up all of your most important files at no cost!
This is a no-brainer! Check it out. It’s especially nice for backing up your laptop.
I am an advisor to Josh’s company, Berkeley Data Systems, and a very happy Mozy.com user. Congratulations on the PC Magazine recognition, Josh!
I love the Freemium business model they are following: offer something valuable and free and then upgrade some percentage of your users to a premium version — in this case, a lot more remote storage space for a very low annual fee.
Here is the latest newsletter they sent out today:
Hello Mozy user!
So the big news this week is that PC Magazine gave us 4 stars and awarded us the Editors’ Choice award for our beta service! You can read more about the review here:
We appreciate PC Magazine for taking the time to do the review (authored by Neil J. Rubenking – who is one of the few reviewers that actually knows how to code) and of course, a special thanks to all our beta testers (that’s you!) for continuing to help us find and fix bugs in our system.
So Mozy isn’t perfect yet, but it’s pretty darn good, and getting better.
Mozy version 188.8.131.52 is out, with many improvements (including improved speed) and more bug fixes.
Download it here: http://mozy.com/downloads/mozy-1_6_1_6.exe
You can install it right over your current installation and your settings will be preserved. We strongly encourage you to upgrade – but a couple of upgrade notes:
– Norton firewall users – it’s likely that you will have reset your firewall settings for Mozy after an upgrade. (Norton isn’t the brightest of firewalls.)
– We’ve had reports of upgrades sometimes not actually upgrading all the way. If this happens, try manually downloading and installing the latest client over your current one. If that fails, check the support faq on how to get in there and clean your old mozy out to start again.
In other news, we’re growing fast! We’ve got over 40 million secure, encrypted files backed up for our users – and we’re having to add more servers to our data center. We’re also increasing the support staff as well. (Sorry about the delays in support emails everyone – don’t give up on us!)
So a lot of folks really love Mozy, and we frequently get inquiries about how they can help. Here are a few ways you can help us save the world:
* Give your friends an extra +256MB when they sign up with Mozy (oh, and you get an extra +256MB too!): http://mozy.com/account/refer
* Need even more storage? Mozy Premium is inexpensive at $19.95 per year (that’s only $1.67 per month!)
* If appropriate, write a review or comment about Mozy on a forum or mailing list. (Hey, genuine comments only – no astro-turfing allowed!)
As always, we appreciate your support.
-josh and the mozy team
339 total views, 4 views today